Saturday, June 11, 2016

"Not Alone" 36x36, Oil on Canvas

"Not Alone" 36x36, Oil on Gessbord

“The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”  - WB Yeats

Finished this piece a few days ago. Had to stop several times through the process and let the paint dry so I could do another layer. This helps me to be patient and wait for the painting to tell me where it wants to go.

The day I hiked up the Pinnacles in Big Bend National Park I looked up towards Emory Peak (the highest peak at around 8,000 ft). There was a cool mist that was flowing down the ridge in the late afternoon. It gave me a sense of fear and awe. There was much more detail to the mountain (rocks and trees) but I chose to dial down the information so I could soften it and give a sense of mystery to how it felt that day. Eerie yet incredible to be there on that mountain with a strong sense that I wasn't alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment