Friday, May 27, 2016

"Sound of the Desert" 36x36, Oil on Gessobord

"Sound of the Desert" 36x36, Oil on Gessobord

I don't usually put any animal life in my paintings simply because I am after the "story" of the landscape. The movement, color and flow of the living thing we call the earth. I couldn't help myself, however, when I did this painting. This little Cactus Wren is really the image of Big Bend. Life is teeming there if you only look for it. My friend, David Elkowitz (the Ranger), helped me see that so clearly on the hikes I took with him. I have never appreciated birds so much until I was forced to really SEE them and listen.

We were able to see this tiny creature sit on top of a Sotol stem that grows out from the yucca. Such resilience and beauty in the desert.

I felt like that tiny bird in this vast landscape. I was overwhelmed and yet held and provided for. Something God brought me to the desert to experience. He is my water. My shelter. My all.

You can go HERE to hear their distinct call.

close up of the Cactus Wren

2 comments: