Monday, December 8, 2014

Cover Art for Mark S.M. Scott's Book, "Pathways in Theodicy: An Introduction to the Problem of Evil"

Cover of Mark S.M. Scott's Book

Mark S. M. Scott is an Arthur J. Ennis Postdoctoral Fellow in the Augustine and Culture Seminar Program at Villanova University. He earned his PhD and AM from Harvard University and his MAR from Yale Divinity School. He is the author of Journey Back to God: Origen on the Problem of Evil (2012). 

I have been very honored to "meet" Scott via email as he was finishing his book. Imagine my delight when he asked if my painting would go on his cover! In the course of our emails we found out that we are both Lewis fans and Narnia enthusiasts. It is my honor to be on this cover (as he requested this picture specifically). For me it is the picture of Narnia as Aslan was coming back and warming up the woods from a long winter. Mark shared this with me from a friend who wrote about the painting and the topic of his work:

Placing the text at the bottom accentuates the recessive planes of the
image.  Gradients of light are visible between (and behind) the trees, but
darkness still dominates the foreground, as evil so often seems more
proximate to us than goodness and beauty. We have to look further, and
aloft, to see the latter.
 
What a wonderful tie in for the image and writing!

Mark, thank you for your hard work and kindness in letting me in on this book. I am honored my friend.

You may go HERE to see more about the book and order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment