Monday, October 27, 2014

"Light Moves" 30x30, Oil on Gessobord

 "Light Moves" 30x30, Oil on Gessobord


Finished this larger piece last week but went back today to make sure it didn't need any more highlights. I wanted the light to do the most "work" in the image so I tried to just keep it very simple.

I am working towards a very large piece so keep me in your good prayers. I so enjoy these Texas skies. So full of mood and beauty. It's a challenge to try to capture both.





Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sold, "Lazarus," "Golgotha," and "One Calling in the Desert" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord

Three of my works based on the book of John


Very pleased to share that three of my works, "Lazarus," "Golgotha," and "One Calling in the Desert" have sold at Mary Tomas Gallery here in Dallas.

They are still carrying many of my newer works. Please stop by if you are in Dallas.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

"Lantern in the Forest" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord

"Lantern in the Forest" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord


This painting started out as a very dim light covered with a LOT of mist. I was having to take some steroids for a swelling tongue (I know, don't ask!). I finally called the Dr. and asked if I could quit. I just kept crying. Needless to say it took a few weeks before I went back to it and out popped this light and a little path and the trees. It's amazing how good you feel when your not on medicine!

I think I am missing Narnia. Maybe it's time I reread one or two of those wonderful books.I like to imagine what Narnia might look like with the lantern in the woods. Aslan has thawed the frozen world, and the Kings and Queens of Narnia are justly ruling the land. This lantern has such a story to tell in the glow of a quiet, soft light.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

"Wildfire" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord

"Wildfire" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord


I've been working on some little 12x12's for entries for the National Weather Biennial. This is one of my entries on wildfires that are caused by lightning. Here in the US during the dry times of the year (particularly in the west and Rockies) fires are started easily because of the drought conditions.

The National Park Service states:

"As many as 90 percent of wildland fires in the US are caused by humans....results of campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, discarded cigarettes and intentional acts of arson. The remaining 10 percent is caused by lightning or lava."

For many years Americans were told to stamp out forest fires because they were seen as devastating. Now, however, they are finding a small percentage of forest fires are needed to clear the older brush and start new, healthy growth. Particularly for the Aspens and Lodgepole Pines which seeds and stems open and sprout thanks to fire. Remember that next time you see the beautiful golden Aspens. Let it remind you it needs some hardship to become the graceful, delicate and incredible beauty it is.

I love the paradox's of nature. It says so much to me about our lives. I sometimes need the dross sloughed away so that something pure and real comes through. I need to be opened and seeded and the only way to do that is through hardship. I hate that. I mean, I truly do. But I love the outcome. I love that God can take something dead and "ruined" and make it new. When I look at Aspens...well...it's just hard to describe the feeling. But you know if you've seen their golden lacy boughs and slender spotty legs. They seem to cheer and sing. If a tree were a woman, a very graceful woman, it would be an Aspen. 

How could God make these incredible trees out of something as leveling as fire? But He does. It gives me such cheer to know He has me. He. Has. Me. And He knows what He's doing.  I painted this thinking about some things I've been going through with my life, church, family, art, kids. And I realized there is beauty IN the fire itself. Not just the outcome but the very fire. As I was painting it I thought about how that's a visual paradox too. It's beautiful but it's also being destroyed. Satan loves to destroy (he seeks to do that!) but God knows what He is doing. Always. Beauty in the fire, Beauty from the fire.


As many as 90 percent of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans. Some human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, negligently discarded cigarettes and intentional acts of arson. The remaining 10 percent are started by lightning or lava. - See more at: http://www.nps.gov/fire/wildland-fire/learning-center/fire-in-depth/wildfire-causes.cfm#sthash.bypyE1mW.dpuf