Friday, July 11, 2014

6x6 oil on Gessobord, study for "Cain and Abel"

6x6, Oil on Gessobord
 
 
I'm just working through the colors and mood I want for a larger piece (20x20) based on Cain and Abel. I am struck particularly with the passage that reads: "Listen. Your brothers' blood cries out to me from the ground..." (entire portion Genesis 4:1-16).
 
I've been working at getting more of a mood here with the oncoming rain and the darkening colors. I believe the trees could be separated more and the land pushed with more tension. It's been actually "fun" for me to explore the neutrals here and have one color as a highlight. I want the red to really pop and felt I couldn't do it very well in this one. Hopefully, I will try it again.
 
Palette: Ultramarine Blue, Titanium White, Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. You will notice I used the Burnt Sienna as my "red" in this palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment