Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Lazarus" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord

"Lazarus" 12x12, Oil on Gessobord
 
 
I've been working through the book of John (not chronologically but just as the passages hit me). I wanted to show the moment when the light is about to break over the clouds. C.S. Lewis writes in Weight of Glory, "Nature is only the image, the symbol; but it is the symbol Scripture invites me to use. We are summoned to pass in through nature, beyond her, into that splendor which she fitfully reflects." 
 
I wanted to show the path of light as it trickles through the grooves and mist of cloud. Lazarus was called out. Imagine that! Leaving the grave he walked into the light. The True Light. Light called to darkness and out came a living man. Imagine Jesus' truth trickling through the crowd. He is God! What was once dead flesh is now whole and warm!
 
One thing Jesus says in this beautiful place of history, "Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?" (John 11:40). I want to see the glory, don't you? I want to feel it's warmth over me, like a new day. A new life.


No comments:

Post a Comment