Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Painting at the Arboretum, "The Brook" 6x6, Oil on Gessobord

"The Brook" 6x6, Oil on Gessobord
 
 
I had the wonderful opportunity to Plein Air paint with my artist friend Debbie Chiecchi Jackson.  You can go to her website here.  She paints beautiful landscapes in a impressionist style.  We found this lovely little spot tucked between the Women's Garden and the Maple Rill.  It's actually one of my favorite spots in the Dallas Arboretum.  It's very intimate and quiet with a lot of shade.  I notice that viewers usually either stop and stare at it for a while without speaking or they walk right by.
 
I took some artistic license with the scene and pulled the water to flow towards me when in fact it passed behind the tree.  I love that I can do that with paint.  Nature gives us that base in which we can imagine our world based on what is really there.
 
Painting outdoors is one of my favorite things to do and I am getting a little more time lately to do just that.  I find that it relieves a lot of stress for me to just be outside and listen to the water, the birds, the wind in the leaves.

My husband and I are getting excited thinking about the upcoming Fall and Winter season as we have been planning an overnight backpacking trip.  I am currently trying to figure out how to pack my Plein Air Pochade Box so I can paint as we go...more on that later...

Here I am with my little painting (I hate my goofy smile but there ya go)...

A little squirrel actually napped on the large limb to the right
but was spooked when he saw the camera.  What a great spot eh?

1 comment: