Thursday, July 25, 2013

"Night Watch" 9x12, Oil on Gessobord

"Night Watch" 9x12 Oil on Gessobord
 
 
I've been working towards a show coming up in October.  I won't share about that right now as I'm still working on some other paintings for it.  I will say that it's been a spiritual challenge for me to really "get at" what I'm trying to convey.  I went through several layers until the light and the branch came to me.  Nothing I make is ever perfect but I can't tell you how much I enjoy the process when I give it over and just let Him lead the way.
 
Psalm 43:3 "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain to the place where you dwell."
 
My sister shared that verse after she saw this painting and it has been seeping into my heart. 
 
The thought behind this painting was that ONE branch from the tree (of humanity) is divine.  It spills the light and the blood and by it's light the other branches are stained the color red and grow in abundant yet distinct ways.  Isaiah 11:1 says, "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit." 
 
I talked with my sister the other night about a possible title and we both loved, "Night Watch."  He splits the darkness with that warm light.  He stands over our darkest nights and pushes back.  He is hope in the midst of despair, life in the sea of death. 


2 comments:

  1. Dear Dawn,
    I appreciate your artwork very much. I am also in the current show at Whitestone Gallery! God bless,
    Deborah Land

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a chance to look at your work too Deborah. You are wonderful. Thank you for the comment. May God bless the show at Whitestone. Susan and Derek are truly used of God.

      Delete