Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Job" Oil Painting on Panel

"Job" 5x7 Oil on Panel
 
 
I think I tend to lose some of the emotion in the Bible when I read it.  I have to make myself remember it is filled with raw feelings and perhaps words that the speaker never wanted anyone else to hear or read but God chose to put in there for you and me.
 
I've been reading through Job these past weeks (I am teaching it at my church to the Ladies Class bless their hearts!).  What timing!  As I go through my ankle surgery, pain and the "down" feelings that come from changes of plans, physical limitations, frustrations etc, etc, etc.  God makes no mistakes with His timing.
 
One of the things that has surged over me lately is just this great desire to create.  I am so thankful to God that I can still paint and give Him words that cannot be spoken.  Ever felt like a storm is raging and you can't make it stop? Ever feel it's shaping the way you physically look, feel and even see? 
 
Three times Job asks the Lord to answer him.  To SPEAK. To remember that he is human, flesh and blood.  He can't take any more...and three times God gives silence.  Three times.  Makes me think of Elijah when he covers the body of the Widows Son with his own body to ask the Lord to bring him back to life and after three times God raises him from the dead.  Jonah was in the fish for three days and then it vomited him out.  Paul asks the Thorn to be removed three times and the Lord answers "No." Makes me think of the three days Jesus was in the grave.  God answered the world with an empty tomb.  All of these instances have a process of suffering before an answer...and not really even an answer as much as God.  It hit me in a fresh way how God answers with Himself, with life, with relationship.  Remember Job's words, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you..."
 
This is the first time I've ever used "Black" in a painting.  I usually mix blue with Alizarin Crimson and it comes out a deep purple.  But here I used black.  I wanted it to feel like the clouds and storm were above and below (no solid ground).  I wanted to show Job as a leafless tree, bent by the storm and pain.
 
Suddenly the Bible seems more relatable than ever to me.  And I remember I have His very words in my suffering and pain. I have Him living inside me.  I have Jesus victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment