Thursday, April 18, 2013

"The Pedernal" Oil Painting Triptych

4x36 Oil Triptych on Canvas

The Pedernal is famous because of Georgia O'Keeffe.  She built her house to look at what she called, "her mountain."  Probably New Mexico's most famous painter and my favorite artist.

Kendrick and I had a chance to hike through Ghost Ranch that overlooks the Pedernal.  The day I looked out at it I felt this cool purple and blue strike me with such a force of color.  I had always thought that O'Keeffe had exaggerated the colors but in fact they are that blue and that purple.  New Mexico quiets me down into my bones.  I find myself spilled out on the landscape.

At the end of her life Juan Hamilton hiked to the top of the Pedernal and sprinkled her ashes on top of it.  When I looked out at the mountain I see a part of her: striking, alone and stark against the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment