Sunday, January 6, 2013

"The Streaming Light" Oil Painting Study


9x12, Oil on Canvas
 
Finished this little study on Friday.  I love the way a tree looks in fall when the sun is going down and it has been lit by the glow of red and brown.  In the original picture of the tree it has some strong sunlight coming through the branches.  I wanted to mute it and quiet it down to just the tips.
 
This time of year seems more quiet to me.  Something about the way the trees are sleeping makes me want to be quieter.  It seems so slow this cycle of life, rest, renewal.  I know that if I don't get enough rest and time to just reflect that my life has no renewing.  Just a fight to stay alive...to be real...to keep my head above water, to get the tasks done on the list.
 
This past week I got to be home with my kids and my husband.  It's been so nice to just have NOTHING to do. Peace. Rest. Eat. Rest. Play. Rest. Read. Rest.  I could get used to this.  Here I am on the diving board of January looking down at the pool of months below. I'm trying to remember my rest is important to God.  It's important to my family.  To my soul.  It's o.k. for me to say, "no.  I can't.  I need to slow down." 
 
I feel like this tree. In the shadow I will take my rest.  I will filter the light softly and gently lay down to be renewed. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:11.  What a beautiful promise to me.  He is my rest.  He wants me to rest in Him.  Lord, help me do that this year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment