Thursday, August 16, 2012

Between Bare Trees (Final), 30x40 Oil Painting

30x40, Oil on Canvas

I did the little 16x20 study and was excited (gulp!) to get started on a 30x40. 

I've been praying a lot about my time.  It seems I'm so easily distracted from what is so important:  Time with God, time with my good husband and my sweet girls.  I let things leak into those spaces.  I heard God talking to me about it.  I finally decided to turn off my computer so I could paint more freely.  Yes, my name is Dawn Waters Baker and I'm addicted to the computer.  "Hi Dawn!"  I know your out there.

I have had some great time with my kids this week.  It's like God has filled in the gaps and kept me floating.  I've felt more in love with them, with my husband.  My time seems so much more precious because it's their time.  It's not like all of a sudden I'm perfect Mom or their perfect kids.  I just turned off the stuff and I got my life.

My Pastor (Dr. David Rogers) said something a few weeks ago about the cross and how it has
become jewelry or decoration (not that it is bad) but that it has lost the power of what it means because of our "familiarity" with it.  It was interesting that the most heartfelt things I paint always get backed up by a sermon somewhere.  I love that.  It's like God's confirmation to me.

I've been thinking of the hymn, "Victory in Jesus" and the lines, "He plunged me to victory! Beneath the cleansing flood..." So it's a picture of the three crosses only there are no crosses.  Two bare
trees represent the thieves and how they had no life (no part in bringing eternal life to this weary earth) and the middle cross is a waterfall to remind us of the power that happened on the cross, the cleansing, washing, as His life was poured out as an offering... "Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide."

I literally put my hand on the waterfall and thought about how He poured out for me. A sweet friend reminded me of the lines, "Wash me and I shall be whiter than snow." Wash me Lord Jesus.  Another friend said the piece felt scary and magnificent at the same time.  I love that.  It's like God was talking to us all, words without sound.

I found myself worshipping while I painted this week.  Oh, I've missed it.  It's like I've been trying to tell you something instead of showing you.  I always make things too complicated.  Let it go.  Let God into the spaces.  Let Him fill it up full.  Let it spill out of you.  Let it make you crazy if you don't show Him that you love Him too.





No comments:

Post a Comment