Thursday, March 31, 2011

The New Has Come!

Oil on Canvas, 18x24

II Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (NIV)

I was thinking about something a sweet friend said about "refining fire" (thanks Jill!) and loved how the colors went towards that yellow/white as if in a great heat.  I chose red from the very beginning for Christ's blood as it is through His work on the cross that we are made new.  It was really neat to step back and see both of these symbols work together.

The old man is fading away and in it's place is the figure of Christ making us a new creation, the baby.  We are born again into life.  I liked how the image of a baby made me immediately think of helpless and fragile and how much we need our God to sustain us.

Thank you all for your precious prayers.  I literally struggled with this one and finally scrubbed the idea I initially had and just asked God to show me what HE wanted to say.  I truly feel He did that for me.  Always, when I get out of the way (all my inhibitions and thinking about skill and audience) He is faithful.  Ultimately, it was a painting that reminded me that I paint for Him and Him alone.  My dear love.  My all.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This one is amazing. I think you are right, it is straight from the Lord. I also like how it looks like the umbilical cord is reaching up to heaven, getting it's nutrition and sustenance from the true source of life. It is one of my new favorite Dawn Water's Baker paintings for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered your book! Cannot wait to get it. Wanted to ask if the title was inspired by the song Everything by Tim Hughes? If not, you have got to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri and Brodie, I'm so glad you saw that about the umbilical cord. Our sustenance and all are from Him alone. Thanks for your encouragement. Can't wait to see your little guy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I've not heard that song! I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely stunning, Dawn. This image took my breath away when I opened your website. Indeed, I agree with Bri and Brodie--this painting came straight from our Dad's heart. I love how the fierce red, toward the bottom of the image, looks almost like a womb. Such an incredible image in the details and overall. Thank you, friend, for always being faithful to our Dad by using the gifts He's endowed you with to glorify Him.

    Congrats on the piece in Western Art Collector! And I'll be praying for your exhibit at DBU!

    Hugs and love to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always Jill, thanks so much. I pray it brings Him glory. Thanks for your preicous prayers.

    ReplyDelete