Sunday, January 16, 2011

Away


5x7, Oil on Canvas
I don't want to share too much about this piece right now but I did want to share my thoughts and progress so far. It has been my most difficult piece to paint. Not because I don't feel God moving in me or wanting to say something through me but it seems like whenever I put something down it wasn't quite right. I have scrubbed off this canvas several times only to start over again. I think I have the "idea" down finally as well as the balance of color and shapes. I need to put in the details to let it really flow to together now.
A sweet friend of mine lost her brother a few months ago on her birthday. He was quite young and left behind three little children (one yet to be born). Although I did not know him very well his death has been on my mind and heart a lot lately. Perhaps because of how much I rely on my husband for his help and strength, particularly with our kids. I cannot imagine their world. I don't think anyone can. All I can do right now is intercede for them in prayer and let them know they aren't alone. They are loved.
I wanted to show his passing as a beautiful loss just like when a tree you look at constantly for months and enjoy finally sheds it's last leaf. I also have three saplings in the foreground to represent his dear little ones.
I will share more when it is finished. If you read this would you please pray for the Ashton family? They live in England and would so appreciate your prayers. God has them in His good hand. Let's love them in that place.

3 comments:

  1. This work-in-progress is an incredible piece. It's always beautiful to see how God is using your gift to bless, encourage and support those around you. I will absolutely be in prayer for the Ashtons.

    Btw, while I was spending time with our Dad this morning, I read this verse and thought of you: "She [wisdom] is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed." (Prov. 3:18)

    Love you much, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, this made me cry. Thank you sweet friend. It was good to see you and hear you laugh. I'm praying for you and thank you for choosing to live on the razor's edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing as it is! There is a great sense of warm light that pulls you in.

    ReplyDelete