Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Passing to Heaven


I finished this little 6x6 today. It is for a friend from the Philippines who lost her little baby boy.
You may be wondering why there is a tree growing in some hands. Good question. The idea I had for the painting was of a little tree and as it was starting to grow has also started to be blown up to heaven by a soft breath. As the breath is blowing it the tree is also turning white.
My Mom always says, "Hold those you love with an open hand because they belong to God. Not us. They just pass through our hands." She lost my brother in the Philippines when he was just a baby and learned how to say this with great faith.
One of the hardest lessons I have been aware of recently is how to savor and appreciate every moment we have with those we love. I look at my children, my husband, my parents and I try to hold open my hands. I claim Isaiah 41:10 that says, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
For those friends who have lost loved ones recently I pray all strength and comfort on you and your dear families. I pray we all will walk with such courage and faith as you have done and we will all remember God holds us in His hand. That is a hand that will never let go.

4 comments:

  1. Dawn, let me say thanks as a friend of Heather's for a lovely picture that "visually shares God's truth". Also appreciated your mom's testimony and what you shared from Is. 41. We never want our time together on earth to end, but the brevity of life points us to the eternality of our faithful God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Wendy. Thanks for the kind encouragment. I have been one of those blessed by Heather's faithful witness through this. I pray we all see God in such a real way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I was introduced to your site by Gina Corser, a friend of mine. I have not seen your whole site, but I'm looking forward to coming back to it. I appreciate the comments you've included with your art. So often there is a poignant message in art - known only to the artist because the message is not shared. Your combination of art and comment allows me as a viewer to draw what I can (what God shows me) from the art and then know what you had in mind. Thank you for sharing. Deborah Freeman debj.freeman@gmail.com (Sorry, I don't know how to use the comment feature.)

    ReplyDelete