Monday, December 20, 2010

Dr. Bascom and her Mom



5x7, Oil on Canvas


Dr. Bascom has been my doctor for 10 years now. I really love her. Not just because of her bedside manner (which she has a very calm, kind nature) but because from the very beginning, she would sit down and look me eye to eye and let me talk. Sometimes grabbing Kleenex for me and other times joking with me about our little girls.


I remember years ago praying for her as she was recently married and I knew she was wanting a baby. It was taking some time. I remember the day I walked in and saw her belly and the way she smiled and I laughed out loud at her joy and my joy. I praised God all the way home that day.


I can also remember when Myla was born, my firstborn girl, and how I had prayed that Dr. Bascom could deliver her and sure enough Myla waited to enter the world until Dr. Bascom was in her office hours. Dr. Bascom calmed me. She praised me. She helped me to be a Mom.


When I found out I was having twin girls I was in shock and to my embarrassment also overwhelmed with fear. She handed me some Kleenex and started to talk very slowly and gently about how this pregnancy would not be anything like my other one. She saw me often and I always left thinking, "O.k. I can do this. Just a few more weeks." Like I had seen my coach and was getting my head in the game.


Recently, I've been in her office for some female problems. While I was in the waiting room I noticed a program with her Mom's face on it saying, "In Memoriam." I was so surprised as I remembered seeing her Mom and her at our pediatrician's office (yes, we have the same pediatrician and she's great too). When Dr. Bascom came into the waiting room we launched into our usual talk about what to do, what our options were etc. I was frustrated and in some pain and felt the tears coming and there she was holding that box of Kleenex. As I stopped to get myself together I remembered the picture and asked her about it. She immediately started to cry too and told me her Mom had died in May of this year from cancer. She was able to be with her right up to the end and was so very grateful for that. I felt terrible for having her talk about it and then there I was crying over my little problem when she had lost her sweet Mom.


Well, all said, I'm about to have Christmas with her in a way. I'm having a procedure done on the 23rd and will be able to go home around the 24th or 25th. I wanted to paint her something. I wanted to paint her a tree, In Memoriam of her Mom.


I picked the Pacific Yew as Dr. Bascom has lived in many places but she says she is from the Northwest (Washington State). The Pacific Yew grows along the coast from California to Canada and thickly in Oregon and Washington State. Unlike the other giants of the Northwest, the Pacific Yew is not a tall or thick tree. It is humble, unassuming and one of the most precious trees in North America. The Yew has a long history with Native Americans for its use (because of the toughness of it's wood and yet flexibility) in making bows and oars. Both necessary for the survival of a people and for taking care of families. In recent years the Pacific Yew has been found to have cancer fighting properties that help in stabilizing microtubules - the part of the cell that helps in preserving the shape of the cell and also helps in cell division. The compound has been found to fight against certain types of cancers, especially the ovarian and breast types. I picked this tree In Memoriam because of this. Although her dear Mom was taken by this terrible disease the tree that is her symbol is the one that fights it for many women.


In my painting I have a thick (they can get to be 4 foot thick) Yew in the foreground as I was thinking of her Mom. Although I didn't know her I see her daughter's strength and kindness mixed into one person so well. I can only imagine her Mom having such qualities. Behind the Yew are two other Yew trees as I thought of Dr. Bascom and her little daughter and how the large Yew has her branches over them protecting and caring for them.


Of course, I could not paint it without putting the light in. That great light of God and how He is there with us through all of life's journey. My prayer is that Dr. Bascom would see His great love for her and her family and she would be comforted by His presence.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn, what a beautiful gift to Dr. Bascom, and a beautiful memorial to her mother. Dr. Bascom is highly respected and recommended by the doctors I work for, and it is nice to know she is such a nice person as well. I have no doubt that you have touched her life greatly!

    ReplyDelete